Thursday, April 28, 2005

Yahoo's new MyWeb

Yahoo has introduced a powerful new personalized web search service called MyWeb. It is fully integrated into Yahoo Search and Yahoo toolbar. It allows a Yahoo user to save copies of web pages with the click of a button. In other words, you can think of it as a personalized web search cache.

Your saved pages can be organized into folders. Folders can be either be kept private or shared with other users via RSS feeds, email, IM, or (soon) via Yahoo 360, Yahoo's new blogging service.

Now the one feature that really sold me on it was the automatic search history. If you turn this feature on, whenever you do a Yahoo search and look at a page, it's automatically put in your search history, which of course is there whenever and whereever you're logged into your Yahoo account. As Loren Baker pointed out, Yahoo has a big advantage over Goggle, because Yahoo users do log in, whereas most Google users don't (they don't even have a Google account).

Now I've been a fan of web-based services for a long time. My email (Yahoo) and my feed reader (Bloglines) are both web-based, and I really like being able to access both from any computer. So I like the idea of keeping my web search history on the web as well.

I've used Yahoo for years. I use or have used Yahoo's Mail, Address Book, Calendar, Notes, Briefcase, Maps, Local, Yellow Pages, Bookmarks, Groups, Movies, News, Messenger, Hot Jobs, Games, Reference, Alerts, Toolbar, and 360 services. And yes, at home, my home page is My Yahoo. So naturally I like more Yahoo services. However, most of my friends and family are not into Yahoo the way I am. So there's the rub. All these services are great if you're into Yahoo anyway. The real question will be, will new features like My Web win new users over to Yahoo? It'll be interesting to see. I'm particularly interested in the planned integration between Yahoo Search / My Web and Yahoo 360. I was a little disappointed with 360, but then again, I don't have many Yahoo friends... So if you do use Yahoo 360, check out my page.

Happy Searching!

Categories: ,

No comments: